Saturday, March 9, 2013

Sunday Chicken

Warning: this is not a healthy recipe by any stretch of the imagination.  So if you are turned off by ingredients like bacon, sour cream, etc. stop reading now!  But, if you are a fan of rich foods that are a cinch to prepare...this might be a good recipe for you to try!  Why is it called Sunday Chicken?  Because it's a recipe you can put together and then pop in the oven and allow it to bake while you are at church for a few hours...it's ready to eat by the time you get home!  I made it this past Wednesday as those days are very busy for my family.  I'm still sticking with the name of Sunday Chicken regardless of which day I make it! ;)

2 small packages corned beef (or enough to cover the bottom of a 9x13" pan)
6-8 chicken breasts
bacon (uncooked)
2 cans cream of chicken/mushroom soup (mix and match; whatever your preference)
1 pint sour cream


Serve with: Egg noodles or rice


Oven temperature: 275 degrees.  Baking time: 3 hours

Line a 9x13" pan with corned beef.


Place the chicken breasts on top of the corned beef.


Now cover the chicken breasts with bacon.  If you prefer, you can wrap the bacon around the chicken, but I am lazy, so I lay it over the top!


LOVE thick cut bacon!


Next, combine your cream-of soups with the sour cream.  Scoop out and place dabs on top of each piece of chicken.  Once the soup mixture is evenly distributed, spread it to cover as much of the chicken as you can.


Place it in the oven and allow it to bake uncovered for 3 hours.  I happened to be extra busy when I made this, so mine baked for 4 hours.  It's a little darker than usual, but still tasted great!


Serve over cooked egg noodles or rice and enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. Do you think you could make this in the crockpot? Dan doesn't like the oven being on when we leave the house...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, I think you could do that. Obviously things wouldn't brown up at all, but that's okay--in this recipe the bacon isn't supposed to get crispy. I'd think a few hours on high in the crock pot (if you wanted it after church) or low all day, would be just fine. Let me know if you try it that way! The meat will likely be extra tender and fall apart, which is what I tend to do with this recipe when I serve it up in the first place. Bite sized pieces are nice for the kids!

      Delete