Saturday, March 9, 2013

Stuffed French Toast

The other morning I decided I wanted to make a slight change to our typical French toast fare.  I love my basic french toast recipe, but I decided to dress it up a bit and make stuffed french toast in its place.  It turned out great!  For this particular recipe, I paired cream cheese with jam and made it into a creamy spread to place between the slices of bread.  As I finished making breakfast, another thought came to me--the next time I will stuff it with a combination of cream cheese, brown sugar, and cinnamon; I think that would taste really good, too!  Here is my simple stuffed french toast recipe.  There are not a lot of measurements given as I usually just estimate amounts.  In spite of that, I am sure that anyone could make a delicious version of this recipe!

Bread (I used a loaf of the cheap store-bought kind)
2 Eggs
Milk (a fair amount)
Vanilla (just a splash; perhaps 1 tsp.)
Cream cheese
Jam (any kind will do; I used strawberry)
Syrup or powdered sugar as a topping

Heat up a griddle.  Allow a little butter to melt on it so that your bread won't stick.  Also prepare your egg mixture to dip the bread in--beat the eggs, add the milk and vanilla in a shallow dish or bowl.  I used a 9x13" pan for mine.


Next, prepare the bread.


Place a decent amount of your jam/cream cheese mixture on the center of the bread.  For more flavor, use more than I did.


Spread to cover the surface of the bread.


Then place the second piece of bread over top, like you are making a sandwich.


Dip both sides of the bread in the egg and milk mixture, then place onto the hot griddle.


Allow it to cook for a few minutes, then flip when the bottoms are a golden-brown.


Cook the second side until it, too, is nice and golden.


Remove from the pan and serve with either a light dusting of powdered sugar or syrup (or both!) for a sweet treat.  You may decide that it doesn't need anything on top of it, but I have a bit of a sweet tooth!


No comments:

Post a Comment