Monday, March 4, 2013

Chicken Chow Mein

I grew up with this recipe.  It's not a Chinese dish of any kind, outside of the use of rice and chow mein noodles.  I'd consider it comfort food...it's not all that "exciting," but it tastes good and my family loves it.  And I love that it can be thrown together in record time!



1 1/3 c. instant white rice ** (see note below)
1 can cream of chicken soup (or use 2 cans of this and omit the cream of celery soup)
1 can cream of celery soup
1 c. water
1 can peas
12-16 oz. cooked, cubed chicken
chow mein noodles
pepper to taste (optional)

**Instant rice is not necessary--if you prefer, cook your own rice in advance and use it in place of the instant variety.  I cooked up brown rice for my family and used it in this recipe.**

Besides the chicken, these are the key players I use in my preferred version of this recipe; doubled as usual!


Place the rice in a large skillet.


Add the soup, water, cream of chicken soup, and peas.


Stir it up and bring it to a boil.  (If you are using instant rice, allow it to simmer for at least 5 minutes so the rice can get soft.)  As soon as it boils, turn the heat down and add the chicken.


Once again, stir it all up, then heat it a bit more until all your ingredients are warmed through.


On a serving plate, place a handful of chow mein noodles.


Top with heated rice and chicken mixture and serve!


Stay tuned for a dessert recipe in which I use any leftover chow mein noodles! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment