Saturday, February 9, 2013

Porcupine Meatballs

First of all, no, this has nothing to do with porcupines--that's one of the first questions I always receive when I mention the name of this meal.  It has to do with the appearance of the meatball as it has rice in it...therefore it appears to have little quills!  Both my boys absolutely love this recipe.  It is easy to double, which is what I have done in the past.  However, these days I'm not ending up with any leftovers, so tonight, I quadrupled the recipe!  For each pound of meat, you will end up with about 12 large meatballs or 15-16 small meatballs, so you can easily determine how much beef you will need for your family.



These are some of the key players in the recipe:


1 # hamburger
1/2 c. rice (instant or white rice can be used, but I prefer whole grain brown rice. **See note mid-blog)
3 Tbsp. chopped onion (can be omitted or substituted with onion powder)
1/4 tsp. poultry seasoning
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. butter
16 oz. tomato sauce
1 c. water

One of my favorite flavors in this recipe comes from the poultry seasoning.  Poultry seasoning is not limited to just poultry.  Try it in this recipe and see for yourself!


Not everyone likes onions, but I do.  Nothing beats fresh onion in a recipe!  Amazingly, I didn't cry when I cut this onion up--usually onions make me cry every time.


**A note about the rice in this recipe.  Instant rice will cook through as the meat simmers for 45 minutes.  So you'll have soft "quills" in your meatballs.  Rices that are not instant require you to make a decision.  Do you want to pre-cook your rice so it's nice and soft going into the recipe, or do you want to just put it in raw, which means it will have a bit of a crunch to it in the finished product.  I've tried it both ways and my family actually prefers the crunchier rice...which is perfect since it ends up being less work for me.

You'll want to put the first 6 ingredients (ground beef, rice, onion, poultry seasoning, black pepper, and salt) in a large bowl and combine by hand.  No one wants to see this kind of picture, so I didn't take one.  Once your ingredients are well mixed, start forming them into meatballs.  I make mine slightly larger than golf ball size.  Prior to making the meatballs, I will put the butter into the pan and allow it to melt and heat up.  By the time the meatballs are finished being made, the butter is ready to brown them up.


The meatballs will need to browned on all sides, which doesn't take too long.  Depending on how many you are making, by the time you get to the last meatball, you'll need to start turning the first meatballs again so that all sides get cooked.

Halfway done!


Nice and brown.  Once they are cooked, feel free to drain any excess butter/grease.


Next, pour in the water, and then add the cans of tomato sauce.  I don't necessarily follow the recipe here.  I like for the meatballs to be fully coated with tomato sauce.  This is what 1 can of tomato sauce covered...which isn't enough, so I needed to use more.


This is more like it.


At this point, you simply cover the pan and allow the meatballs to simmer on low for 45-50 minutes.  Not only does the cover help the meatballs to cook through more quickly, but it keeps the tomato sauce from splattering all over the top of your stove.  I don't have a lid big enough for my large cast iron skillet, so I improvise using a pizza pan.


I always serve this up with mashed potatoes and some kind of veggie, so I get those going while the meatballs simmer.

About an hour later, your meatballs will be ready to be placed on a plate and devoured!  Top with as much or as little extra sauce as you'd like.


No comments:

Post a Comment