Monday, February 4, 2013

Chicken Tacos

Here is another fast meal that you can easily tailor to your preferences.  This particular night I was working with chicken and a few canned basics to go along with my homemade flour tortillas.

For starters, I tossed frozen chicken breasts into the crockpot.  I know they say you shouldn't do that, but so far I haven't run into any problems.  Then grab whatever ingredients you want to add in with your chicken.  I chose some Rotel tomatoes and my own taco seasoning that I just happen to keep in an old McCormick container.


Pour whatever ingredients you want your chicken to simmer in over the top, and set on low for 6-8 hours.


After about 4 hours, I shredded the chicken since it was fully cooked through.


Next, I drained and added a couple of cans of black beans for some extra protein.


(Did you know that you can often find canned beans for a cheaper price if you find them in a designated ethnic aisle at the store?)

I waited to add my beans until closer to the end of the cooking time since the beans were already soft to begin with and I didn't want them turning into mush.


I kept this mixture on low heat until it was dinnertime.  Then I simply served it up on top of the tortillas with some of our favorite fixin's, such as onions...


lettuce...


cheese, and sour cream.


Then I let my family go through and fix their own taco to their liking.  Here was the spread they could choose from on this particular night.  I didn't have a ton of options, but no one seemed to mind.


Spoon it up on a fresh tortilla...


And enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment