Friday, January 4, 2013

Granola

This morning I decided to make some granola for the family.  Over the years I have tried many different granola recipes, but they were never exactly what I wanted...until I tried this one.  Made a few adjustments and came up with my go-to granola recipe.  For the record, I always double this recipe, since the granola seems to disappear awfully fast in our house!

1/3 c. maple syrup
1/4 c. honey
1/3 c. coconut oil
2 Tbsp. water
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
4 cups oats
1 c. chopped pecans (or nut of your choice)
3/4 c. shredded coconut
1 c. dried fruit (or chocolate); mix and match

Combine the wet ingredients along with the cinnamon and salt.  In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients except for the fruit/chocolate.  Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry mixture and stir until all the oats are coated.  Put the granola onto a high-rimmed cookie sheet and place in a 350 degree oven.  Bake approximately 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes (or sooner if necessary).  Once the granola has finished baking, pour it into a large bowl.  Allow it to cool and then add in the fruit/chocolate.

Serve over yogurt or as a bowl of cereal...or just snack on it dry!

The granola stores fine in a bowl or if you prefer, you can transfer it to a covered container or glass jar. Makes a great gift, too!

**Some of the key ingredients in my favorite granola recipe**


I prefer to use coconut oil in my recipes where I can in place of vegetable or canola oils.  Coconut oil is a natural, healthy fat source and not something that we should be afraid to use.  (Not only is it good for your insides, but it's also good for your skin!)

Click here to learn about the health benefits of coconut oil.

**Coconut oil is a solid at temps below 76 degrees**


Where I live, at this time of the year, my coconut oil is always in solid form.  But I can easily turn it into liquid by heating it for a few seconds in the microwave.

**Coconut oil as a liquid**


If you work with coconut oil in place of another liquid oil, substitute the exact measurement of the oil called for.

**More key players in my granola recipe**


**Combine all of the above in a bowl...or be lazy like me and keep it in the measuring cup so you have fewer dishes to contend with when you're done**


**Choose whichever kind of nut you like in your granola.  My personal favorite is the pecan**



**Put all the dry ingredients into a large bowl, stir them up, and then add the wet ingredients and stir some more**


**Pour the granola onto a high-rimmed cookie sheet and spread it out evenly**


Bake for about 25-30 minutes total, stirring every 10 minutes or so.  You will want to stick around until you are familiar with how quickly (or not) your oven bakes.  I find that for my oven, I need to let the granola bake for 10 minutes, stir it up, then bake it for about 7 minutes, stir again, and 4 more minutes in the oven will typically be enough to brown it to my liking.  Don't let it bake for too long...overcooked granola tastes really bad.  Don't ask me how I know.

**Granola after the first 10 minutes of baking**


**Granola at the end of the baking time.  Just brown enough**


Pour granola into a large bowl and allow it to cool.  Once it's cooled, if you want to add dried fruits to the mixture (or chocolate chips and M&M's), this is the time to do it.

**Craisins are my usual add-in**


I don't always add dried fruit; sometimes I keep the granola just plain and add it to plain yogurt with frozen mixed berries.

**A favorite breakfast around here**





1 comment:

  1. This was a HUGE hit at my house! I'm wondering if you've ever tried making a crunchy granola bar? We're thinking this could make a GREAT bar... just need to figure out how to make that work!

    --Tracey

    ReplyDelete