Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Summer Squash Pizza

Let me start out by saying that I am not a fan of anything in the squash family. I want to like squash and I am doing what I can to convince myself I like squash. And since I grow summer squash in the garden for certain family members who DO like squash, it's definitely on the menu at this time of the year. I have discovered 2 ways in which I can handle eating squash...one of those ways is roasted on the grill. The second way, which I am going to show in this post, is disguised as pizza! This is a fast, easy and healthy snack!


Ingredients:

Summer squash, sliced into 1/4" thickness
salt
pepper
pizza sauce
mozzarella cheese
pizza toppings (optional--mini pepperoni, for example)

Baking Temp: Broil (550 degrees)
Baking Time: 5 minutes

Start out by lining a baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly spray the paper with non-stick spray. I then sprinkle both salt and pepper on top of the sprayed parchment paper (I use freshly-grated Himalayan salt and freshly ground peppercorns, but basic salt and pepper will work just as well). Next, slice the squash into 1/4" thick round slices and lay them on top of the parchment paper. For the side that is facing up, give it a quick spray of non-stick spray, followed by salt and pepper.

At this point, you want to place the pan in your preheated oven and allow the squash to bake for 2 minutes. After 2 minutes, remove the pan from the oven flip the squash, and bake it for 2 more minutes, allowing it to get a little tender.

Once the 2 minutes is up, it's time to turn the squash slices into pizza! Simply take your favorite pizza sauce (I make my own--a can of tomato sauce, some salt, Italian seasonings, garlic powder, and grated Parmesan cheese), and place dollops on top of each slice of squash:


Next, add cheese (and any other topping you desire):


Pop the tray of pizzas back into the oven for 1 minute. If you like the cheese to be bubbly and a little darker brown on top, allow it to bake for an additional 10-30 seconds.


Remove from the oven and serve immediately while they are nice and warm. They really are pretty good! Hope you enjoy them, too!


No comments:

Post a Comment