Monday, March 17, 2014

Creamy Coleslaw

I'm particular when it comes to coleslaw. Too vinegary and I don't care for it.  Too much of a mayonnaise taste and I will avoid it. Too sweet or not sweet enough and it won't do. This, however, is a recipe I enjoy. For me, it's just the right amount of all of the above and it's easy enough to change up the flavors in a way that you like. (For instance, if you like a sweet coleslaw, add extra sugar. Like it tangy? Add extra vinegar or lemon juice, try your favorite flavor vinegar such as apple cider vinegar in place of plain white vinegar, etc.)


Ingredients:

1 head of cabbage, sliced/chopped (or buy the pre-shredded cabbage in a bag)
1 carrot, shredded
1/2 small onion, finely chopped (omit and/or use onion powder if you don't care for fresh onion)
1/4 c. white sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 c. mayonnaise
1/2 c. buttermilk (regular milk also works fine)
3 T. vinegar (your choice; I often switch up white and apple cider)
5 T. lemon juice
garlic powder to your liking
salt and pepper to taste

Go ahead and chop and combine your veggies in a large bowl (or pour bag of coleslaw mix into the bowl).  Rather than grating my carrot, I use my veggie peeler and peel off slices that way, then cut them into shorter pieces. I'm sure this job would be even easier if you had a food processor, of course!


Next, in a large measuring cup, combine the remaining ingredients, being sure to whisk well until the ingredients are combined and the mixture is smooth.


Finally, pour the coleslaw dressing over the top of the cabbage mixture and stir well.  Cover and refrigerate for a few hours for best-tasting results. The dressing will thicken up a bit in the fridge. Every so often I'd suggest stirring the bowl of coleslaw so that dressing really soaks in instead of sinking to the bottom.  Perfect to serve as a side dish or as a topping to BBQ pulled pork sandwiches!


1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to try this! It looks and sounds so yummy!

    ReplyDelete